Saturday, November 22, 2014

30 year sewing project completed

In the 80’s I worked at The Springfield Plaza, a shopping plaza that time forgot. There was a fabric shoppe called Weintraubs. I only remember it from the extended going-out-of-business period. In the real final days, when everything was 90 or more % off and thoroughly picked through, I bought yards and yards of upholstery fabric in the yellow color family. I had no immediate use for the fabric but it was the nicest quality stuff left, yellow apparently unpopular.

That fabric, like an ugly yellow patterned albatross, has traveled with me through every move over 30ish years. Every time I packed it, I would be mad at myself for lugging it around. Whenever I wanted to sew curtains over those 30 years, I would dig it out, look at it and buy new fabric.

I needed curtains in my condo, so pulled out the Weintraubs fabric and started sewing, 4 years ago. I was finally using the albatross when my sewing machine broke. I hand-sewed 2 sides of one panel. Company was coming to stay, so I clipped the fabric to the curtain rod with clothes pins, 4 years ago. And so it stayed. I just got a new/old sewing machine from my Tante. I finished the curtains. Mr. REE is standing on my sewing machine holding the price tag from Weintraubs, in front of the curtains. I have 2 other patterns of the yellow upholstery fabric. That gorgeous sunny vintage fabric that cost me pennies.

No comments:

Post a Comment