Monday, April 11, 2011

Brown paper packages tied up with string

I have to admit, The Sound of Music and packages had a huge influence on me. I don't know that it was the first movie I saw but it is the first one I remember vividly. Our whole family went to a movie theatre in downtown Holyoke that is no longer there. As a poor immigrant family, this was a special outing. As the daughter of German immigrants this film's story was elevated to something almost religious. I have seen the movie tons of times and can sing all the songs, because of course we had the LP and it was on heavy rotation. Anyway, I just said all that to tie the title to my post and pic. One of the most magical things I remember about my childhood is sending and receiving packages to/from Germany. We received a box from my Tante Helga (mother's sister) every Christmas. The packages were so exotic and exciting. Everything was different from what I knew. The writing on the package and even the numbers of our address (German 1's look more like 7's and 7's need a line through them to clarify). Then of course the wrapping paper, labels, beautiful ribbon and presents I had never seen in a store or TV commercial. I could go on, but want to talk about our packages to Germany. My mother is a Jedi master of packing and spatial relations. She can meticulously get the most amazing amount of things into one box. And to pack every inch with goodness she would buy crazy things and put them in plastic bags (pre styrofoam peanut waste). I would always help because this was a drawn out process. Presents were bought and wrapped and then the padding which consisted of things like bags of Lipton tea, and instant oatmeal packets. I couldn't figure out why we would send those things but I think it's refugee thinking and really, it will get used. That whole process alone was awesome but then the outside was next. My mother would cut up brown grocery store bags and wrap the outside of the box and then tie it with string in this butchery way that blew my mind. Where she learned to loop and pull and tighten and create this grided box for shipping is beyond me. I could not do it today if I tried but I bet she could, even though modern times no longer require this method. Brown paper packages tied up with string - these are a few of my favorite things.

No comments:

Post a Comment