Saturday, April 2, 2011

Thing 49: micro-fiction

An old friend sent me this book for my birthday -thank you CB. AM/PM - that's the name. It looks cute, even sideways, right? cats crawling out of a babyben style alarm clock. cute! And this slim, white paperwork has that sweet inked illustratory design on front and back. THEN when you open it, each left side page is labeled with a time like this 7:00 AM and all the right-hand pages have a time and PM. The times are not in order. Each page is a very short vignette of a few sentences up to maybe a half page. Doesn't it sound like it would be awesome? My friend is smooth. I am impressed with his choice, or maybe he just got lucky. Either way, when I held it and opened it, I was charmed. I was ready ready ready to fall in love with this book and micro-fiction. Ok, so that was my frame of mind. I mean really I think it would have been almost impossible to disappoint me. I mighta given it all kinds of leeway. But I sadly report, I didn't really like it. Probably some flaw of mine. I just took it from the pile and gave it to a writerly literary friend. Maybe I am a little thick or lazy. Maybe I was supposed to work harder for the rewards, like in college lit classes, which did require me to work harder and honestly, I was regularly rewarded for it. Or maybe it just ain't my thing. I will see what my friend thinks. I'm honestly curious. Maybe she will love it and I'll want to re-read it. That would be cool too. Sometimes yer just not in the frame of mind for certain things or for some reason you're annoyed and it spoils it. I have definitely not liked a movie and then saw it again and liked it. We'll see. And this friend has her PhD in Lit so I'm sure she will have something interesting to report.

No comments:

Post a Comment