Friday, January 23, 2015

Unoffendable

Day 4: Teach us something that you do well.

In my new life I came up with the concept that I am “unoffendable”. It’s not really a super easy thing to teach in this manner and I suppose I spent a lifetime getting here. But I started saying it, and started practicing it and now I’m convinced I believe it.

When I questioned myself I couldn’t figure out one positive thing, anything of value, any way that feeling offended served me. Not a one. So I let it go. Poof. Same world, same people, people are stupid sometimes. But now, if someone is an idiot or behaves in a way that I could choose to be offended by – I just feel appreciative. I think, gosh, thank you SO much for being such an unequivocal idiot! Thank you SO much for announcing it so clearly. I don’t have to spend any more time on you! So efficient! (In my head of course) There are so many amazing people in my life that I don’t get to enjoy enough, and you’ve saved me from spending time on you. Perfect. Grazi!

Now of course, everyone has the chance to change my mind. But the onus is on them to make it happen. And it has happened! Kind of spectacularly at times. There is a guy I have interacted with only twice in my life. First time, he would have been categorized as “negative forgettable”, second time he jumped to “positive memorable”. He owned up. He thanked me. Damn straight of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment